MBOSE is regulated by the board established under the Meghalaya Board of School Education Act, 1973. The board was inaugurated by Chief Minister of Meghalaya in 1973 and since then it is working as the governing body. The board comprise of one Secretary appointed by Government, Controller of Examination, Assistant Controller of Examination, 3 Deputy Secretaries and 4 Assistant Secretaries other than this there are several people working as clerical staff of the board.
The course structure of the board is prepared by the governing body. The syllabi vary according to different classes. At Higher Secondary level students are provided Commerce Stream, Arts Stream and Science Stream. Let's take view of the subjects that constitute the course of different standards till Higher Secondary level. These subjects are listed below-:
1. English – Students are taught rules of grammar in an integrated manner in order to enhance their writing skills. They are also taught poetry for improving their reading skills that will enable the students to comprehend the organization of ideas and information.
2. Mathematics – Students are taught such Mathematics that will develop their ability to solve simple problems from commercial mathematics, elementary statistics etc. It also enhances the knowledge of pupils regarding geometrical figures and applied mathematics.
3. Political Science – Parliamentary structure of India as well as different states, method of election, representative parties, electoral roll, Constitution of India, rights and duties of citizen etc are taught to pupils to create a better understanding of the prevailing political structure.
4. Economics – Students are taught both Macro and Micro economics in which students are made aware about different concepts and theories like consumer behaviorism, price elasticity of demand Rent, Wages, Profit etc. Indian Economics is also taught to students in order to aid them in analyzing their existing position among the World.
5. History – Students are taught history at different levels including ancient time, at the time of advent of different rulers and Britishers, Period of Independence and Post Independence Era.
6. Philosophy – Logic behind any concept, Denotation, Connotation, simplification, distribution etc are taught to the students in order to develop the skill of logic and analysis.
7. Geography – Various elements constituting the crust of Earth, solar system, geographical region or boundary of various States of India and other countries are taught to students.
8. Physics – Elementary as well as fundamental physics is taught to pupil to make them aware about surrounding phenomenon and concepts.
9. Anthropology – In Anthropology, different life cycles, process of precipitation, flow of energy, geology, animal kingdom etc are taught.
10. Chemistry – Basic concepts of chemistry like atom, molecules, models of great Scientists like Rutherford, Bohr's etc. are taught in it to establish a greater connection of the student with surrounding things.
11. Computer Application – Computer application are also taught to students to raise their knowledge about software as well as computer hardware and open the gates of profession in the field of information technology.
12. Environmental Education – In it, the concept of exchange of heat, physical realms of earth, social environment, biological environment, green house effect, biodiversity etc are taught to students in order to make them aware about pollution and environment.
13. Home Science – Human Development and Family resource management are taught to students so that they can learn the skills of management and acquire a better life in future.
Apart from these subjects alternative languages are also offered to students. These are also called as additional subjects and students have to compulsorily undertake any one of them. These subjects are-:
The fee structure of schools of MBOSE is Rs.850 annually for regular and private registered students and Rs.1000 for unregistered private students. The rule of free and compulsory education up to 8th standard is also followed in state of Meghalaya and they are motivated by offering free uniforms and books.
To College from School
The subjects taught to students from primary level to the Higher Secondary level are such that it provides an easy path to get into the colleges offering graduate and under graduate courses in the field of information technology. It also prepares students to fight in the competitive examinations and get through the desired colleges through the education and their dedicated efforts.
Comparison with other boards of International Standards
MBOSE is one of the best education systems that a child can avail. It prepares students at international level by making them proficient in specking as well as writing English which is second most common language of the world and one of the compulsory languages in almost all Countries worldwide.
Pros and Cons of the System
The main disadvantage that is attached to the system is that it does not offer any foreign language like French or Latin to students and they are made aware about only local languages like Gora, Khasi etc. However, the variety of subjects like environment education, political science etc is provided to students in order to make them all rounder. Along with it the less fee structure of the schools enable everyone to attain the education.
Choosing the right school for your child
Parent should be very careful in selecting the most apt MBOSE for their kids. Popularity or good will of the schools should be kept in mind while selecting it. Schools with trained teachers should be preferred over other schools.
About Meghalaya Board of Secondary Education- MBOSEBy : Ankit
The state board of Meghalaya or Meghalaya Board of School Education also known as MBOSE is recognized as one of the state education board of India. The primary function of the board is to empower students and provide academic excellence among them in the age group of +3 to 17. MBOSE was first started in 1974. But after 1996 the board started handling all the financial as well as academic matters like determining fees structure, framing out of syllabus etc.
MBOSE is committed to offer quality education to the students. It aims to provide over all development to students that include both physical as well as mental development, so that the young generation can contribute in the field of development and take India to the level of other developed nations.