This is a discussion on Math brief Test for CLAT within the Mathematics forums, part of the Law Preparation category; ...
1. Train A leaves the station travelling at 30 kmph. Two hours later train B leaves the same station
travelling in the same direction at 40 kmph. How long does it take for train B to catch up with train
(A) 4.5 hours (B) 6 hours (C) 7.5 hours (D) None of these
2. Pankaj with the help of Rohit can finish weeding the garden in 21 days and with the help of Qasar can
weed it in 28 days. Pankaj, Qasar and Rohit start working together. After four days, Qasar quits and
after another three days, Pankaj also quits. Rohit completes the remaining work in 16 days. In how
many days would Pankaj alone weed the entire garden?
(A) 35 (B) 49
(C) 63 (D) 84
3. Archana and Swetha start walking together towards their school. If Swetha walks at her usual speed,
she reaches school 15 min after Archana. If Swetha walks at twice her speed, she reaches the school
9 min earlier than Archana. What is the ratio of the speeds of Swetha and Archana?
(A) 5:7 (B) 9:110 (C) 12:17 (D) 11:16
4. In a college, for every two people who take up biology, three take mathematics and for every 5 people
who take commerce, seven take biology. If the total number of students in the college is 405, then the
number of students who enrolled in mathematics is greater than those who enrolled in commerce by
(A) 66 (B) 77
(C) 99 (D) 121
5. Ramesh bought two dozen pencils and gave 25% of them to Geetha. Of the remaining, he gave one
third to Vrinda. If he decides to give half of the remaining to Minchu, then what is the number of
pencils left with him?
(A) 4 (B) 6
(C) 7 (D) 9
6. One fourth of 20% of a number is 16. What would be the value of 125% of the same number?
(A) 240 (B) 320
(C) 400 (D) 540
7. Twice the number of marbles Ananth has is equal to thrice the number of marbles Arun has. If Ananth
gives seven marbles to Arun, then the number of marbles with Arun and Ananth would be the same.
What is the original number of marbles with Arun?
(A) 28 (B) 35
(C) 42 (D) 56
8. Sudha sold a radio at Rs.345 making a profit of Had she bought it for Rs.25 more but sold
at it at the same price, what would have been her profit percent?
9. Shailaja told her children that if they help her with watering the garden she would give Rs.30. Her
daughter Ritu can water the entire garden in 20 min and her son Ritesh can do the same in 30 min.
Ritu’s friend Payal helps them in watering the garden and all the three together finish gardening the
entire garden in 8 min. What part of Rs.30 should Payal get?
(A) Rs.12 (B) Rs.10 (C) Rs.8 (D) Rs.11
10. A cyclist cycling at a speed of 15 kmph is cycling to a place 40 km away. The cyclist takes a break of
5 min after every 30 min. If he starts at 6:00 a.m., then when does he reach his destination?
(A) 8:45 A.M. (B) 8:55 A.M. (C) 9:05 A.M. (D) 9:10 A.M.
11. If the radius of a circle increases by 50%, then its area increases by
(A) 100% (B) 50%
(C) 125% (D)150%
12. The difference between CI and SI on Rs. 1850 at 10% p.a in 2 years is
(A) Rs. 18 (B) Rs. 17.50 (C) Rs. 18.50 (D) Rs. 17.00
13. The ratio of two numbers is 1 : 2 and their difference is 13. Then the sum of the numbers is
(A) 42 (B) 39 (C) 37 (D) 38
14. The equations x + 2y = 5 and 0.2x + 0.4y = 1 have
(A) a unique solution. (B) no solution (C) infinite solutions. (D) two solutions
15. A man purchased a radio and a televison for Rs. 5000. He sold the radio at a profit of 14% and the
television at a profit of 10%. If total profit was 12%, then the cost price of the televison was
(A) Rs. 3750 (B) Rs. 3000 (C) Rs. 2500 (D) Rs 2750
16. Which of the following fractions is the largest?
Last edited by Sunny12; 10-22-2012 at 10:54 PM.
1. Ram and Shyam decide to go to a neighbouring town 360 km away and they travel at 40 kmph and 60 kmph respectively. If Ram starts at 6:00 a.m., then at what time should Shyam start so that hereaches the destination at the same time as Ram?
(a) 8:20 a.m. (b) 8:45 a.m. (c) 9:00 a.m. (d) 9:15 a.m.
2. Three days ago it was the same day as it would be 25 days from now. If 28 days ago it was a Sunday,then what day would it be 15 days from today?
(a) Saturday (b) Monday (c) Thursday (d) Tuesday
3. Two men and six boys can complete a work in five days. A team of one man and two boys takes twelve days to do the same work. In how many days will a man alone complete the entire work?
(a) 14 (b) 18 (c) 20 (d) 22
4. An article was sold at a gain of 10%. If the selling price had been Rs.75 more the gain would have been 15%. Find the original cost of the article.
(a) Rs.1200 (b) Rs.1500 (c) Rs.2000 (d) Rs.2500
5. If the length of a rectangle is decreased by 20% and the breadth increased by 20%,a square of area 144 cm 2 is obtained. What is the area of the rectangle (in sq.cm.)?
(a) 12 (b) 144 (c) 150 (d) 140
6. Falguni is eight years older than her sister. In three years she will become twice as old as her sister. What is the sum of their ages?
(a) 18 (b) 21 (c) 32 (d) 38
7. A man has Rs.960 made up of Rs.5, Rs.2, and Re.1 coins, which are respectively in the ratio of 5:7:9. What is the number of Rs.2 coins he had?
(a) 120 (b) 180 (c) 140 (d) 280
8. In a restaurant, a vending machine had two different taps to fill coffee. One tap can fill a cup in 2 min and the other can fill the same cup in 3 min. Ram wanted to fill a pitcher which had ten times the volume of one coffee cup. If he uses both the taps and uses only full cups to fill the pitcher, in how many minutes can he fill the pitcher?
(a) 8 (b) 10 (c) 12 (d) 15
9. Rahul bought ten shares of Reliance. After a week, the prices of the shares shot up by 45% and exactly one week after that the shares fell down by 30%. If he bought the ten shares for Rs.1200, what would be the profit or loss incurred by him if he sells the shares at the end of the second week?
(a) Rs.18 (b) Rs.72 (c) Rs.108 (d) Rs.180
10. A toothpaste company, to increase the consumption, of its product decides to increase the size of the diameter of the toothpaste tube. If the consumption is directly proportional to the square of the radius of the tube, what would be the increase in the consumption if the diameter is increased by 20%?
(a) 32% (b) 44% (c) 54% (d) 65%
1. A man has Rs.960 made up of Rs.5, Rs.2, and Re.1 coins, which are respectively in the ratio of 5:7:9. What is the number of Rs.2 coins he had?
(a) 120 (b) 180 (c) 140 (d) 280
2. The sum of three numbers is 98. The ratio of the first to the second is , and the ratio of the second to the third is . The second number is
(a) 15 (b) 20 (c) 30 (d) 32
3. A father’s age is three times the sum of the ages of his two children. In four years, he will be twice as old as the sum of their ages. How old is the father?
(a) 24 years (b) 36 years (c) 48 years (d) 52 years
4. In an examination paper A gets 10 marks less than two-thirds of full marks, while B gets 5 marks more than one half of full marks. The marks obtained by B are eight-ninths of those obtained by A. What are the full marks for the paper?
(a) 180 (b) 90 (c) 75 (d) 150
5. The denominator of a fraction exceeds the numerator by 1, and if 2 is subtracted from each, the sum of the reciprocal of the new fraction and 5 times the original fraction is . Which of the following can be the original fraction?
(a) (b) (c) (d) None of these
6. A shopkeeper offers one soap free (of a particular brand) if 2 soaps of that brand are bought. Ramesh bought 6 soaps from the shop and paid Rs 9 totally. What is the cost of one soap of that brand?
(a) Rs 2.00 (b) Rs 4.50 (c) Rs 2.25 (d) Rs 2.50
7. A container contains 50 litres of alcohol. From this container, 10 litres of alcohol was taken out and replaced by water. This process was repeated once more. How much alcohol is now left in the container?
(a) 30 litres (b) 32 litres (c) 40 litres (d) 41 litres
8. Two vessels contain 50 litres and 70 litres of liquid in them. The ratio of alcohol to water is 1:4 and 2:5, respectively, in the first and second vessels. If the liquids in both the vessels are poured into another vessel, what is the ratio of alcohol to water in the mixture?
(a) 1:3 (b) 2:5 (c) 3:7 (d) 2:3
9. The difference between compound and simple interests, on a certain sum at 5% per annum in 2 years, is Rs.1. What is the sum ?
(a) Rs.300 (b) Rs.400 (c) Rs.625 (d) Rs.460
10. A train passenger counts the telegraph posts along the railway track as he crosses them. The posts are at intervals of 60 m. How many telegraph posts, maximum, will he come across in a minute, if the speed of train is 54 kmph?
(a) 12 (b) 15 (c) 20 (d) 16
1. A's salary is 25% higher than that of B. How much percentage is B's salary lower than that of A?
(A) 20% (B) 22% (C) 24% (D) 26%
2. Three pots have the same volume. The ratio of milk and water in first, second and third pot are respectively 3 : 2, 7 : 3 and 11 : 4. If the contents of all the three pots are mixed, then what is the ratio of milk and water in the mixture?
(A) 61 : 29 (B) 63 : 31 (C) 67 : 29 (D) 69 : 31
3. At the beginning of a term, the ratio of the number of boys in a school under 15 years to those over 15 years of age was 5 : 4. At the end of the term the ratio was 7 : 8 as 20 boys had reached the age of 15 years during the term. What is the total number of boys in the school, given that no boy left or was admitted during the term?
(A) 240 (B) 225 (C) 220 (D) 230
4. Rs. 395 was divided among A, B, C such that B gets 25% more than A and 20% more than C. What is A=s share?
(A) Rs. 65 (B) Rs. 115 (C) Rs. 120 (D) Rs. 75
5. Two trains are running at a speed of 50 km/hr and 30 km/hr respectively in the same direction. The train running at 50 km/hr crosses a man in the other train in 18 seconds. What is the length of the faster train?
(A) 100 m (B) 120 m (C) 115 m (D) 118 m
6. In selling an article for Rs. 9 a man gets as much percent loss as is the cost price of that article. What is the lost price of the article?
(A) Rs. 90 or Rs. 15 (B) Rs. 90 or Rs. 10 (C) Rs. 10 or Rs. 85 (D) Rs. 60 or Rs. 40
7. In a competitive examination, there are four subjects. The maximum marks of all the subjects are same. The ratio of marks of a student in different subjects is 3 : 4 : 6 : 7. If he gets 60% marks in all, what is the number of subjects in which he gets more than 50% marks?
(A) 1 (B) 2 (C) 3 (D) 4
8. Two numbers are in the ratio of 4 : 7. The difference of their squares is 132. Find the numbers
(A) 12, 21 (B) 8, 14 (C) 4, 7 (D) 16, 28
9. The average age of 8 men increases by 2 years when two women are included in place of two men of ages 20 and 24 years. Find the average age of the women.
(A) 27 years (B) 30 years (C) 28 years (D) 29 years
1. Kirti is twice as old as Lahiri. Three years from now the sum of their ages will be 42. How old is Kirti?
(A) 22 (B) 24 (C) 30 (D) 34
2. Three pipes A, B and C can fill a tank in 7, 14 and 28 hours respectively. B and C are opened first and they operate for four hours after which they are closed. How long does it take A to fill the remaining tank?
(A) 4 hours (B) 4.5 hours (C) 3.5 hours (D) 5 hours
3. The average mark of a class of 30 students is 45 and the average mark of another class of 45 students is30. What is the average mark of the two classes together?
(A) 33 (B) 36 (C) 39 (D) 42
4. The cost of eight apples and nine oranges is Rs.50. The cost of six apples and nine bananas is Rs.37.50. The cost of five oranges and five bananas is Rs.17.50. What is the total cost of one apple, one orange and one banana?
(A) Rs.4.75 (B) Rs.7.50 (C) Rs.9.75 (D) Rs.11.50
5. The ratio of the complementary angle and the supplementary angle of an angle is 2:7.Find the angle.
(A) 27E (B) 36E (C) 54E (D) 63E
6. A began business with Rs. 45000 and was joined afterwards by B with Rs.54000. After how many months did B join, if the profits at the end of the year were divided in the ratio 2 : 1?
(A) 4 (B) 5 (C) 6 (D) 7
7. If a:b=2:3, and b:c=2:5, then determine 2a-3b+c/2b+a-c
(A) 2:7 (B) 3:7 (C) 5:1 (D) 7:5
8. Three movies were shown to a jury of 100 members at a film festival. 58% of the jury favoured the first movie, while 47% liked the second movie, 22% liked both the first and the second movies, 19% liked both the second and the third movies, 21% liked the third and the first movies and 7% liked all the three movies. How many members of the jury liked only the third movie?
(A) 16 (B) 17 (C) 37 (D) 62
9. If 2a+3b=12 and 3a+2b=13, then determine the value of 5a+7b.
(A) 19 (B) 23 (C) 29 (D) 34
10. A and B run a 500 m race. A won by 30 seconds. A and C run a half kilometre race and A won by 200 metres. B and C run a half kilometer race and B won by 20 seconds. Find the time taken by A to cover 500 metres.
(A) 80 sec (B) 75 sec (C) 60 sec (D) 70 sec
I've Started a new thread on Maths Mix Up Test
Kindly solve it! I'll post the answers tomorrow!!
All the Best!!
1. A and B together can do a piece of work in 12 days, which B and C together can do in 16 days. After A has been working at it for 5 days and B for 7 days, C finishes it in 13 days. In how many days C alone will do the work?
2. A and B can do a piece of work in 45 days and 40 days respectively. They began to do the work together but A leaves after some days and then B completed the remaining work in 23 days. The number of days after which A left the work was:
3. A, B and C can complete a work separately in 24, 36 and 48 days respectively. They started together but C left after 4 days of start and A left 3 days before the completion of the work. In how many days will the work be completed?
a. 15 days
b. 24 days
c. 25 days
d. 38 days
4. A, B and C together earn Rs.300 per day, while A and C together earn Rs.188 and B and C together earn Rs.152. The daily earning of C is:
a. Rs 40
b. Rs 70
c. Rs 112
d. Rs 160
5. Kim can do a work in 3 days while David can do the same work in 2 days. Both of them finish the work together and get Rs.150. What is the share of Kim?
a. Rs 40
b. Rs 60
c. Rs 70
d. Rs 75
6. In what ratio, tea at Rs. 90 per kg should be mixed with another tea at Rs. 120 per kg to get a tea of Rs. 100 per kg
7. Two varieties of rice at Rs. 10 per kg and Rs. 12 per kg are mixed together in the ratio 1 : 2. Find the average price of the resulting mixture.
a. Rs 11 Per Kg
b. Rs 11.22 Per Kg
c. Rs 11.33 Per Kg
d. Rs 11.44 Per Kg
8. On combining two groups of students having 30 and 40 marks respectively in an exam, the resultant group has an average score of 34. Find the ratio of the number of students in the first group to the number of students in the second group.
9. On mixing two classes of students having average marks 25 and 40 respectively, the overall average obtained is 30marks. Find the number of students in first class if the second class has 30 students.
10. 4 kg of rice at Rs. 5 kg is mixed with 8 kg of rice at Rs. 6 per kg. Find the average price of the mixture.
a. Rs 5 Per Kg
b. Rs 5.55 Per Kg
c. Rs 5.65 Per Kg
d. Rs 6 Per Kg
11. A, B and C started a business by investing Rs. 28000, Rs. 35000 and Rs. 14000 respectively. At the end of a year they got a total profit of Rs. 5225. Find A’s share.
a. Rs 1740
b. Rs 1850
c. Rs 1900
d. Rs 1650
12. A, B and C started a business by investing Rs. 45000, Rs. 55000 and Rs. 60000 respectively. At the end of a year they got a total profit of Rs. 11200. Find how much B gets more than A in the profit.
a. Rs 700
b. Rs 750
c. Rs 710
d. Rs 780
13. A and B started a business with investments of Rs. 42000 and Rs. 63000 respectively. After 4 months B withdraws from the business. At the end of a year they got Rs. 9600 as total profit. Find the share of B.
a. Rs 5600
b. Rs 2800
c. Rs 3200
d. Rs 6400
14. Ajay and Abhay started a business with investments of Rs. 13000 and Rs. 39000 respectively. After 5 months Arun joins with a capital of Rs. 52000. At the end of a year they got a profit of Rs. 14250. Find the share of C.
a. Rs 3650
b. Rs 5250
c. Rs 6750
d. Rs 2250
15. A and B entered into a partnership with investments of Rs. 15000 and Rs. 40000 respectively. After 3 months A left from the business, at the same time C joins with Rs. 30000. At the end of 9 months they got Rs. 7800 as profit. Find the share of B.
a. Rs 4800
b. Rs 600
c. Rs 2400
d. Rs 1200
16. A man bought a number of clips at 3 for a rupee and an equal number at 2 for a rupee. At what price per dozen should he sell them to make a profit of 20%?
a. Rs 9
b. Rs 10
c. Rs 6
d. Rs 7
17. A vendor bought toffees at 6 for a rupee. How many for a rupee must he sell to gain 20%?
18. A fruitseller has 24 kg of apples. He sells a part of these at a gain of 20% and the balance at a loss of 5%. If on the whole he earns a profit of 10%, the amount of apples sold at a loss is:
a. 9.8 Kg
b. 8 Kg
c. 9.6 Kg
d. 12.4 Kg
19. A shopkeeper earns a profit of 20% on selling a book at a 16% discount on the printed price. The ratio of the cost price and the printed price is
20. The ratio of cost price and selling price of an article is 25 : 26. What is the profit per cent on it?
Solve the following questions:-
1. A can do a piece of work in 25 days. B can do the same work in 20 days. They are together for 5 days and A goes away. In how many days, will B be able to finish the remaining work?
a. 17 days b. 11 days c. 10 days d. 13 days
2. A pipe can fill a cistern in sic hours. Due to a leak in the bottom of cistern, it requires seven hours to fill. When the cistern is full, in how many hours will it be empty by the leak?
a. 42 hours b. 40 hours c. 43 hours d. 45 hours
3. A train is running at 72 kph. It it crosses a pole in 15 seconds, what shall be the length of the train?
a. 210 meter b. 300 meter c. 320 meter d. 250 meter
4. When two trains were running in the same direction at 90 kph. And 70 kph. Respectively, the faster trrain passed a man standing in the door of the slower train in 36 seconds. Find the length of the faster train?
a. 100 meter b. 150 meter c. 190 meter d. 200 meter
5. Two natural numbers which differ by 3 and whose square a sum of 117 are-
a. 3 and 9 b. 5 and 4 c. 6 and 9 d. 3 and 7
6. How many 5 digit multiples of 11 are there, if 5 digits are 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 in same order?
a. 12 b. 13 c. 10 d. None
7. If a classroom is 7 meter long, 6.5 meter wide and 4 meter high. It has one door of 3 meter × 1.4 meter and three windows, each measuring 2 meter × 1 meter. Interior walls are to be color washed, which costs Rs. 5.25 per sq. meter. Cost of color washing of the room is-
a. Rs. 500.50 b. Rs. 513.50 c. Rs. 510.50 d. Rs. 515.50
8. The sale price of an article including the sale tax is Rs. 616. The rate of sales tax is 10%. If the shopkeeper has made a profit of 12%, then the cost price of the article is-
a. 500 b. 515 c. 550 d. 600
9. After having spent 35% of the money on machinery, 40% on raw material and 10% on staff, a person is left with Rs. 60,000. The total amount of money spent on machinery and raw material is-
a. 1,76,000 b. 1,70,000 c. 3,00,000 d. 3,40,000
10. In a science talent examination, 50% of the candidates fail in Mathematics and 50% fail in Physics. 20% fail in both of these subjects. Percentage of candidates who pass in both Mathematics and Physics is-
a. 0% b. 20% c. 25% c. 50%
11. Ravi sells an article at a gain of 12.5%. If he had sold it at Rs. 22.50 more, he would have gained 25%. Cost price of the Article is-
a. 162 b. 140 c. 196 d. 180
12. Qutab Minar casts a shadow of 150 meter long. At the same time, Vikas Minar casts a shadow of 120 meter long on the ground. If the height of Vikas Minar is 80 meter, then the height of Qutab Minar is-
a. 80 meter b. 100 meter c. 120 meter d. 150 meter
13. If two numbers are in the ratio of 6 : 13 and there LCM is 312, then the sum of the number is
a. 75 b. 57 c. 76 d. 67
14. Two numbers are in the ratio of 2 : 3. If 8 is added to both the numbers, then the ratio becomes 3 : 4. The numbers are
a. 15 and 20 b. 16 and 24 c. 13 and 17 d. 17 and 9
15. Value of (1/4–2) is
a. 2 b. –1/2 c. – 1/16 d. 16
kanika sharma (10-29-2012)